Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Italian Sausage Meatloaf


Italian Sausage Meatloaf was created when I was blatantly staring down my refrigerator shelves scanning the none-to- exciting items I had, trying to figure out what to make my hungry family for dinner. I had leftovers, hot dogs, or ground Italian sausage. When I usually cook with ground Italian sausage I put it in a tomato sauce, but we had a tomato-based sauce twice already that week, so I found my pantry staples and realized I have everything I need to make meatloaf. I wonder if ground sausage would make a good meatloaf. Hmm....

Yes it did!

Here's the recipe:

Italian Sausage Meatloaf:

Ingredients:

1 lb. Ground Italian Sausage
1/4 Ground Beef ( this is optional, I had just a tiny bit of ground beef left, so I threw it in)
1/2 cup of Italian bread crumbs
1 Egg
1/4 tsp Parsley
1/4 tsp Basil
1/4 tsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
Topping: Ketchup and leftover tomato sauce

Recipe:

Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl mix ground sausage, ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, and spices. Mix with fingers. YES, fingers. You better do it...I'll be watching. Don't overmix or the meatloaf may become tough and there's nothing worse than tough meatloaf. Transfer mix to baking pan and form mix into a log. Mine was about 10 inches long and 3-4 inches wide. After the form is solid and pretty, zig zag the top with ketchup, then spoon tomato sauce (you can use the canned variety or leftover sauce) over the meatloaf to keep it moist. Bake at 375 for 45-50 minutes.

Serves 4

The result was an Italian-infused masterpiece. Super moist and yummy! Definitely a do-again meal in my book. If you give it a try I would love to hear how it came out for you and if you have any suggestions or variations.

Good Luck and Happy Cooking!

Always,

The Silly Sicilian

No comments:

Post a Comment